Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Week 4

It's hard to believe that it's already week four but that's not the point of this post. We're suppose to talk about how we spent our class time today and something that we learned about our topic and that's what I intend to do.

For how I spent my class time, I looked at some of the sites that I already found. A lot of them are about what you have to do in order to get published because I was having trouble understanding that whole concept for a while. I'm still a bit confused about that but I have a better understanding of it now.

A lot of it is just about how if you don't have an agent and you send your manuscript directly to a publisher, more than likely it won't be read because it will end up in the "slush pile". What a slush pile is, it's pretty much the manuscripts that are sent to them by unpublished authors or authors without representation of an agent. In the end, if someone wanted to get published, it's easier to get a literary agent but it's not impossible to get published without one you just have to do your research to find the right place to send it to.

I also learned that this is going to cost a lot of money if I do get the chance to send it to a publisher and they say they are going to publish it. I'm sure, even with an agent, it would still cost a pretty penny.

2 comments:

Shannon McCarthy said...

Well, put ur dollar in the bank, becuase remember, you need an extra dollar to get home... and by next year when and if you send it... you'll have a dollar fifty! lol.

But is ther eanyway to put it on an online site that is crediable and get it published there?

L. Savido said...

Casey,
Perhaps you might start smaller and look into short story competitions for teens as a possible way to get started and see where some of these competitions go. Let's talk...
- Mrs. Savido